Turning 50 is a whole lot easier than turning 40!
My father once told me after high school, time flies. He was right. I recall high school (many, many years ago) taking FOREVER to end, but the past 30+ years have raced by faster than the speed of light. How is that possible? I don’t feel like I’m 50, but boy, does the mirror tell me something different. I approach it with caution, knowing the extremely smart 25-year-old living in my body will yet again be shocked to see her crows feet and smile lines staring back at her.
Am I upset about it? Not in the least. Turning 40 was brutal. I sat on my deck and cried, wondering if that was it. If my life was going to be anything more than raising kids, cleaning house and running errands. I wondered what happened to the successful, smart, independent woman who rocked an expensive, fashionable business suit and weighed less than she did in high school.
I thought she was gone forever, but she wasn’t. Turned out she grew and changed and became someone better, I just didn’t realize it then. Now, looking back at the past ten years and the changes in both my life and me personally, I can say she’s still changing, growing smarter and better with time. I’m not at all sad about turning 50. In fact, I’m happy to still be alive! Though I wish I still weighed less than I did in high school but hey, life’s not perfect, right?
In honor of my birthday, I’ve put together a list of ten tips for turning 50. Things to consider, begin, end, do, aspire to, whatever you want to call it, they’re just my tips. Hopefully, you’ll consider these for yourself!
- Wear more color. Black may be slimming, but it’s boring. Express yourself through your wardrobe and add a little spark!
- Have your hormone levels tested. Some of us are just starting the ‘change’ while others have already headed over the mountain and reached the other side. Either way, hormones deplete with age and we don’t have to suffer through or accept the symptoms that go along with that. There are options, and we can all feel our best even though we’re not as young as before.
- Add a probiotic to your vitamin regimen. The benefit will be noticeable quickly.
- Enjoy the scenery. Take time to notice your surroundings and pay attention. There is beauty out there, but we fail to see it because we’re always going, going, going.
- Volunteer to help those who aren’t as fortunate as you. It doesn’t matter what you do, or why, just that you do. The benefit you’ll give to others will ultimately benefit you more.
- Be grateful. We all have days when we hit the ‘why me’ button, and that’s okay, but take the time to be grateful for the life you have, and the experiences you’ve lived. Being grateful can improve your happiness all around.
- Take care of your skin. Age hits the skin hardest, so fight back. Use products reduce the damage of living life for the past 50 years. You’ll be glad you did.
- Eat chocolate. Because, hey you’re turning 50, so why not?
- Love yourself. You’re the only you out there, and this is the only chance you’ve got to love the person you are. What are you waiting for?
For my 50th, we had a little celebration, and a few friends from out of state came to honor the big event!
It was a blast, and I was so happy to see them! We celebrated with new tattoos!